TT: Projects

Thankful Thursday Logo bSo first off, DrH is got back this week, and I can’t tell you how nice it is to all be together!!!!!!!!!! Plus we finally got to go see the new Bond flick. I was sad to have to wait 2 weeks to see it, but I wouldn’t want to see it with anyone else.

As for the rest of today’s post – projects! Remember me mentioning them last week? Well today I’m super thankful that the latest one is done. I learned a lot by revamping these furniture pieces, and it was a lot of fun. Hopefully I’ll remember my lessons and use the easier ways on subsequent projects. Please excuse my bad phone pictures now…

So 1st up… the lame small bookshelf. 058Basically Walmart grade. I wanted to put in a better and funner back, plus get rid of the cheap laminate look. So we headed off to our local hardware stores to find some boards that we thick enough without being too thick. Ok first I thought I’d use an old pallet, but 2×4’s are too thick for me on this one. Next up I set up an area on the back porch, sanded, stained and painted away. And then more cuz I was learning. I learned that staining then painting then sanding off edges for a distressed look just takes the stain off too. So either hand sand for the distress or know you’ll have to stain after.056See how blond the edges got? Not stopping me though. Got it looking how I wanted and attached them together and to the back. But after I painted the main parts. I used some chalk paint for the off white because I wanted to try it out, and I heard it adheres well to anything. I actually had a bit left over from painting a crate, but could tell I wouldn’t like how yellow it looked. I LOVE off white. So I got some brighter white and mixed it with what I had to get just the right color. And I LOVE IT! See the edges of the old color? The middle is clearly a better off white.057I finished everything off with 3 coats of polycrylic- water based version of polyurethane. Now it’s beautiful and protected, and polycrylic doesn’t yellow over time like polyurethane.055

As for the latest project? The coffee table. I wanted to lighten it up, give it distressing, use French love wording, and maybe something over top that. I came up with 2 birds on a branch inspired by what I found here.

I drew it out big enough for my table, ordered some blank stencil material to make it into a stencil, and cut it out. If I ever want to do that again… remind that I don’t! I should have just got the sticker from the site above. Or just free-handed it. It was a lot of work to cut out, and then I had to clean up the edges with a small brush anyway. Oh well, after painting it a million times I finally got the last coat of polycrylic on today!!!!! So glad to have it done, and super pleased with how it turned out.

Not too bad but maybe here you can see why it needed some cleaning up.064

On this one, I learned I have a heavy hand. So I can’t just add a little bit of glaze and be done. No I have to go over it again with my base color then do some wiping, and sanding to get a hint of it. Luckily I was just doing this on the base of the table not the top, so I didn’t have to redo the top after putting the tree on.065

066

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s